Are you thinking about selling your home soon or are in the beginning stages? Selling a home is a big task, and to make the process easier we’re sharing some guidelines you can follow in order to avoid the pitfalls and headaches—ensuring your experience goes smoothly.
- Declutter the home. First impressions can make all the difference. Keep everything tidy at all times as you may decide to show your home at a moment’s notice.
- Take care of last-minute repairs. Last-minute repairs can help get your home in top shape for showings, and ease the worry for potential buyers about how well you’ve maintained the home.
- Stage the home and have quality photos taken. Take a minimalistic approach and make it easy for potential buyers to envision the home as their own—a professional photographer can help make your home shine! You can also take the photos yourself, just be sure you have great light and utilize photo presets (there are many available!) to help enhance your photos.
- Market the home in multiple ways. From listing online to well-designed signage, there are several creative, and free, ways you can advertise your home.
- Make it easy for potential buyers to see the home. Think about having a flexible schedule and offering easy access to parking as these small details could put your home top of mind for buyers. During this uncertain time, it is recommended that you request potential buyers take the property safety precautions by wearing gloves and a face mask while touring your home.
- Be open to all offers. By keeping all offers in mind, even the low ones, you have a better chance of getting the most value for your home.
- Work with a professional. The process of selling a home isn’t always easy, which is why you need an experienced real estate agent that knows the process entirely.
- Sell your home on your own. Selling your home is a big undertaking, so it’s a good idea to let a professional help you handle negotiations, get the most value, manage paperwork, and more.
- Wait until spring to sell. Although spring is the heaviest time for home sales, it doesn’t mean people don’t buy homes throughout the year. Winter could be the perfect time to buy for someone, you never know!
- Overprice or underprice your home. Choosing the right price when listing your home is important for a successful sale. You don’t want to list it too low and lose money, but you also don’t want to list it too high and have it sit for months. Another reason why working with a professional is helpful!
- Hide any problems in the home. It’s always a good idea to be upfront and honest with potential buyers as it can help you avoid tough situations.
- Attend the showing(s). It’s hard not to do, but attending showings can make potential buyers anxious. Let your real estate agent be present to walk them through the home, highlight its features, and sell it for you!
- Let your emotions affect the sale. It’s understandable that you have a deep connection and wonderful memories tied to the home, but keep in mind you are selling to move into your ultimate dream home—where you can make new memories.
- Forget about closing costs. Remember to factor closing costs into the sale price of your home, so you’re not paying any extra out-of-pocket costs you weren’t prepared for.
We hope these guidelines were beneficial and that they help you successfully sell your home!